Tuesday, May 19

...the next thing (1 of 5)...



May 2nd, 2008 was the last day I worked at McDonald's. I know many of you witty ones are thinking that day was really weeks earlier, but that's when McDonald's stopped sending me a paycheck. Retirement was a dream I had since I was a crew person, working the closing shift @ Lake Murray McDonald's in the early 70's. It went something like this..."I'm gonna get promoted to Store Manager, be a professor at Hamburger University in Oak Brook, then retire when I am 50" (hey the dream did seem big from the mind of a 17 year old).

My first year of "Life - Part Duex" included a Mexican Riviera cruise, mucking with Iowa flood victims, San Diego Charger Game, trips to Grove, Oklahoma to see parents, National Outreach Conference in San Diego, tailgating at Purdue, moving Tammy in Glendale, getting house ready for the MLS, yada yada yada...... There's actually tons more, but I think you get the idea. I'm more free to fill my days with stuff.

So, when it comes to retirement:
  • What am I glad I did?
  • What do I most miss about having a job?
  • What would I have done differently?
  • What surprised me?
  • What's ahead?
I'm going to address "What am I glad I did" today and the rest in subsequent blog posts (hey I got time).

WHAT AM I GLAD I DID?
  • Determined my purpose - I really needed to decide what I was retiring to. My trip to Uganda with World Vision & Guatemala with Hearts In Motion softened (and broke) my ticker, thus clarifying what I needed to do.
  • Prayed -I prayed a lot. I wanted to retire to something that would make a difference. I'm too young to golf & fish everyday (and I'm terrible at it). My role as Vision Coordinator at Good Shepherd in Naperville has allowed me to utilize my life skills to share God's love. This is important to me, especially with my new found faith.
  • Retirement planning survey - There are many surveys online that help you consider if you are ready to retire. They rate all categories, not just financial. I even paid for the Bronze level information that included a book and action plans. It really helped me think of all angles.
  • Discussed with Sue - We talked about me retiring for 2 years as we did our morning walk. There was lots of rehashing, but something new always seemed to pop up. I could not have made the leap if I didn't have her full support (she's pretty special).
  • Talked with others - I got perspectives from people at work and church who have retired. Gary Masden retired in his 40's and I would meet with him every couple of months. He's been my mentor, boss and friend. He doesn't pull any punches which is what I needed. Everyone needs at least one Gary!
  • Get liquid, remove debt - Suze Orman suggests that you decrease the risk in your portfolio the closer you get to retirement. McDonald's stock (and my others) preformed really well into 2007, but we piled our money into CDs and the safe stable value fund before I retired. We really dodged the recent financial bullets.
  • Personal support - I got my tech & desk stuff a couple of months before I left McDonald's (I realized that they weren't gonna let me take my computer, phone, car, etc with me). I bought my cell phone, computer and got a real stapler (not that little red one that jams if you try to attach more than 2 sheets together). I got personal business cards just in case I needed them (I actually used a couple).
  • Ran through the finish line -I gave 13 months notice and was determined to leave on a high...not to coast. My goal was to treat my last weeks at the Innovation Center as if they were my first. Only Ken & Cathy know for sure, but I hope my 35th year with the company was one of my best.
  • Asked, what am I waiting for? - I constantly asked myself this, and there was always some level of uncertainty. Do I need a bit more money? Do I wait for Pat to graduate? Do I wait till the housing market turns around? Do I wait till I'm positive I'm ready? Do I wait till I win the Powerball? I just got to the point that I was so anxious to do my next thing, that I took the step of faith. (Like Indiana Jones stepping out on the invisible path to get the Holy Grail...I love that scene).

This last year has been even more awesome than the ones before. I'm free to do the next thing, and touch the areas that satisfy me the most. WOW!! Next post "What do I most miss most about not having a job"?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad he didn't wait until all circumstances were "perfect". I like having him around.

    Sue Mitchell

    ReplyDelete